Monday, April 19, 2010

The Illustrated Man



I'm so excited to read this book again. It satisfies the need for a little creepiness in your life - without going over the edge. It is also great because you don't necessarily have to read the whole thing, due to it being a compilation of short stories. 
Here are two reviews that echo my feelings about the book. 

"I have read The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury many times. I will continue to read this wonderful little book. Like most of Bradbury's work, one can never get bored reading his stories. His stories are at times terrible, dark and they are beautiful, fascinating and in many ways a portal to the future. They are also a wonderful escape from the now." 


"I highly recommend this book to any fan of Ray Bradbury's work, or to anyone who wishes to introduce his classic works into their library. He is a passionate visionary that writes not only about sci-fi, but his colorful writing style encapsulates the sometimes ineffable feelings that each and every one of us have had about every possible situation in life, and dare I say, in death. I always feel like a kid again when I read his books, I am taken away to warm, sunny Saturdays when I was still in awe of the newness of life. I can hardly force myself to read the works of others as I am convinced that no one can do with words the magic that Ray Bradbury has done."


Apparently it is also a movie - might have to watch it at the meeting. Maybe not, it might be one of those books I don't want to ruin in my head. 
Hope you enjoy!

3 comments:

Marie Livsey said...

While I loved the idea of read the chapters you like... I find I can't just read a few and am reading the whole thing cover to cover. Way fascinating and slightly depressing- GREAT PICK!

KATIE said...

I probably won't be at the next meeting. I have a concert conflict...oh how I love live music! But this time I'm still reading the book and I'm loving it by the way. Nice pick! I'll write a review or something when I finish.

KATIE said...

nevermind I'm comming to bookclub!