
Alright, my idea for this blog is that we can have a discussion here so that members who are unable to attend the meetings can still add their input. With that in mind I tried to take notes at our last book club meeting and this is what I got:
GD- so this book I loved and I hated it. Read from 250 on, up til the middle of the night. Cried so hard, eyes puffy. Anticipating ending
KR-read it when married, loved it
GD-wants Doug to read book, but feels like he should be sheltered. Really liked it, but wished it didn’t swear.
I realize this is less than stellar...a lot less. So I thought maybe I could put down my thoughts and than everyone can add what they were thinking about or whether they agree, etc.
Overall I really enjoyed this book, it was a lot to take in, sort of overwhelming. The swearing throughout the book was not my favorite aspect, but I can see literary reasons for it. I saw a few themes in the book; one was time, and how Henry was trapped in time. Even when he died, he was never gone, just trapped in time. Clare, even though she lived in a linear way, was still trapped by Henry, she had no pre-Henry and no post-Henry life. With the time travel the book was not a believe in God book, but it was a very destiny oriented story.
Another theme I noticed was Clare's obsession of the physical nature of their relationship. This caused a lot of the foul language throughout, which was actually used correctly. The culmination of this obsession came with Clare's "encounter" with Gomez, and how she tried to find Henry in the physicality of another. I appreciated that the author made her characters realize that love cannot be contained in only the physical expression.
The last theme I'm going to mention is how unsexy all of the physical references were. It was a very blunt and almost ugly most of the time, while the beauty of the story came from the art depictions, and the happiness together, and Alma. So maybe there was a method behind the madness...
2 comments:
Just so everyone knows I made a lot more comments about this book than the one that Candi listed. You made me sound lame. You should work on your "field notes"
Yeah, I gave up after about 2 minutes because I wanted to talk. The lameness is all on me.
Post a Comment