Okay the first book is "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell. The next meeting will be September 18th at Katie Rockwood's house.
I think I should also add a little pitch for North and South in case there are some of you out there thinking, should I read this? The answer is yes, this book is awesome. Elizabeth Gaskell was a contemporary of the Bronte sisters and George Elliot. The book itself is a little reminiscent of "Pride and Prejudice", but a little more emotional and a little more political. The story starts right away with compelling characters, very accessible from the beginning and the heroine is quite original and strong. If you are a fan of Jane Austen's books this is a book you could love.
There is also an excellent mini-series made by the BBC of "North and South" made in 2004 for an added element.
20 comments:
Candi showed me and Cali a clip from the mini series online and I saw some kissing which is a huge improvement over Jane Austin's passive heroines and subtle romance. I'm looking forward to it.
Candi,
The library doesn't have any copies available. When you are done with yours, can I borrow?
Gna, yeah sure, I should be done Monday or Tuesday
excellente
Hi Candi, I know you by proxy...and I think we might be good friends. I am a little disapointed that the North and South is not the Civil War version by John Jakes, but I'm gonna get over it and read it anyway!
So far so good on the book... only gotten a few pages in and I really like it. I have a mischievous idea about this Lennox character and the heroine... we'll see what happens, eh?
Okay I finished the book again this week and I still love it. Also the social commentary from the book is still pretty current today unlike earlier period books which are only about marrying outside your class.
I felt a little shamed after talking with you, Candi, for not being farther in the book (not that you made me feel that way- it was self-inflicted). I am up in the 100's now- not that that gives me any bragging rights at all. I have really enjoyed it so far. I love the notes that give more insight into the narrative in your edition.
I love how everyone thinks Margaret is always putting on airs, and then having insight to her thoughts that tell she is doing the opposite.
John Thornton is HOT HOT HOT!!!!!
Ok, one of the notes actually gave the story away...grrr...
You'd a thought they would have warned you, at least!
Oh yeah, sorry about the notes, they do give a lot away, but I still like them.
Yeah, they are helpful. That was the first one I encountered that frustrated me more than helped. But come on... really... did I have a doubt that was going to happen? ;)
Umm, and I do have a question that has been haunting me since the beginning... Thursday evenings will soon be hosting The Office, to which I think you know my addiction. Are we going to plan around that? Or are you all taping it?
I'm planning on taping the office, but I see your point. We should talk about that on Thursday.
Oh and that spoiler comment from the back made me mad too. I think it get's pretty obvious further into the book but at the time I read it I still had some lingering hopes for Lennox.
How many books do I have to present for next month? What if I just want to present one? Does that make me a communist? (The last book I suggested to Candi was Harry Potter and we all know how good that turned out.)
Ha ha ha!
If not communist then at least socialist. Free market capitalism is for competition. If the one book you want to read really is the best it will rise to the top anyway. And don't worry, Lennox will reappear.
Thanks for hosting it last night, Katie! Sorry it was such an early morning!!
Last night was very fun. It was nice meeting all of you. If any of you want to buy the next book, I found it on Amazon for $4.00. Sweet. :) I am excited about our next meeting.
Gina I wrote on my facebook that I love you. I can't believe what you did for my poor little computer. Heathyr couldn't believe it when I told her how late you two stayed over. It was fun.
Post a Comment