Monday, August 1, 2011

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy


So today while I was giggling and reading I thought- oh stink I am supposed to update the blog.  So here you go.  I have started this book probably about three or four times- and for some reason never finished it.  I can't tell you why because I find Douglas Adams writing style so highly entertaining.  Hitchhiker's Guide is sci-fi but I find Adams keeps it easy to follow.  It is the first of a five part series (my mom's favorite of the five though- apparently it gets a bit depressing in later books).  I saw the movie with my mom when it came out and it was ok but not nearly as fun as the book- but maybe I am just a book snob.  So enjoy and remember 'Don't Panic'.  See you guys Thursday August 11! Yeah!

So here is a review I found from Judi Clark which seemed pretty good.

This is the funniest book in the whole galaxy.
It is the first in the classic "5-part" trilogy involving Arthur Dent and his friend Ford Prefect.  Arthur Dent is grabbed from Earth by his friend Ford Prefect, whom he just found out is an alien, moments before a cosmic construction team demolishes the planet to build a freeway. They are aided by the Hitchhiker's Guide which offers such insights as "a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have" and as well as galaxy of fellow travelers such as Zaphod Beeblebox, Vogons, and old and tired Slartibartgast.
This series, obviously attracts Sci-Fi readers, but will also be enjoyed by Anglophiles, Monty Python fans, world travelers, and well, anyone who is looking for answers to the questions that really matter. This book deserves a perfect score of 5 stars and should be reread at least once a year. Enough said.

    No comments: